zondag 30 januari 2011

Stoning

Last August two people lost their lives in Kunduz. They were lovers. Love is not something you can freely exercise, feel or share in a country like Afghanistan. In this particular case both lovers were either promised or married to someone else. Arranged marriages are not uniquely Afghan. Nor are loveless marriages or relationships. Nor is death by stoning uniquely Afghan. It is, however, uniquely primitive and unacceptable. I am not an advocate of a prolonged Dutch stay in Afghanistan. The non-military police training mission that, according to many, is used as an excuse to pamper the decision makers in the US should – in my opinion – not be carried out, although two days ago the Ayes in our parliament decided the vote. The Dutch Approach is imminent.
The stoning of the two lovers was an act of the Taliban who control the area. I was glad to hear that action will be taken against the perpetrators of this atrocious crime. Whether or not that promise will be kept, remains to be seen. I have my doubts, but I want to be optimistic in this respect. It would be a great first step by the regional law enforcers to raise a legal fist to the Taliban and their interpretation of Islamic law.
I would suggest that our police trainers use their 18 weeks to educate the local trainees in (basic) human rights and values, dignity, and respect towards all fellow-Afghans in general and women in particular. If that is the case, I might even be in favor of this mission in the end.

1 opmerking:

  1. I fully agree with training in human rights, values and respect. I realy hoop they will hear or read you.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen